For Essent, the challenge lies in further digitization and automation, enabling us to react quickly and agile. As an Essenter, you will show what you can add. Our ambition is clear: to be and remain number one in the ever-changing world of energy and energy related services.
Within the Essent IT department, a vacancy has arisen for a skilled and experienced Site Reliability Engineer (SRE). Leadership, ownership and the will to constantly improve. They’re in your genes, and you’re ready to start work as a Site Reliability Engineer in Den Bosch.
Site Reliability Engineer
The Site Reliability Engineer has an important role to maintain and improve our service’s availability, focusing on exceeding our customers uptime requirements.
Wij gaan. Jij ook?
With the mindset of a team player, and the determination of a true entrepreneur, your role as a Site Reliablity Engineer involves taking responsibility for:
- Working closely with the DevOps engineers to fully understand and resolve issues, concerns, and problems that might otherwise impede the delivery of high quality solutions.
- Writing and implementing software that improves the stability, scalability, availability, performance and latency of the Essent services and solutions (incl. infrastructure)
- Investigating and solve issues occurring with our highly available production systems and create solutions and automation tools to prevent them from happening again.
- Constructing effective systems to monitor the health of your system, and to handle outages.
- Monitoring the growth of the data landscape and build proactive measures to handle and optimize it. (capacity management).
- Actively promoting recommendations for needed landscape improvements to corresponding product owners and product managers
- Collaborating with Digital Workplace to align on solutions to put needed licenses (for improvements) in place in the most efficient way. This alignment is mostly expected for planned improvements.
- Analysing of major incidents which affect the entire data landscape, participate in root cause problem solving sessions.
- Setting-up end-to-end and predictive monitoring and automate preventive actions.
- Supporting in organizing stand-by shifts outside operating hours.
- Creating business continuity guidelines for IT.
- Continuously looking for improvements in the overall IT landscape to improve the availability, advise and support delivery teams in implementing improvement measures for team specific applications
- Working closely with the Systems team to automate measures to improve availability for generic applications and infrastructure
- Collaborating with third parties to look for opportunities to continuously improve reliability of the overall IT landscape
- Writing tools and leverage software, database tools etc.to automate tasks with an emphasis on safety and repeatability
- Troubleshooting and resolve performance and reliability issues across the stack.
You contribute to maintain and increase our service’s availability, focusing on exceeding our customers uptime requirements. In order to achieve the greatest availability possible, you develop tools, systems and automate processes to help monitor, measure, manage and make our applications on cloud and non-cloud based infrastructure operations transparent, resilient and performant. You are the fallback for DevOps teams when it comes to complex cross ART major incidents. Additionally, you help ensure a short Mean Time To Repair (MTTR) and you continuously improve by using lean-, problem management and agile concepts.
You will advise product-owners and product managers to improve our landscape to ensure availability and performance now and in the future. As a Site Reliability Engineer you report to the Manager Operational Management & Reliability.
In this role you will work specifically for the energiedirect.nl and Esssent brand.
Energiedirect.nl, the premium brand among budget brands. We offer a price that competes with the cheapest in the market, but with an astonishingly good online service. We keep on fulfilling that promise for our customers with a team of sharp, decisive and positive people. At energiedirect.nl you participate in discussions about the plans, you contribute ideas and you are given your own responsibility. This comes of course with a lot of humor and ‘Brabantse gezelligheid!’.. That works!
Essent is our full-service brand for consumers and SME. At Essent, we not only know a lot about energy, but also about customers. We want to help consumers and companies in an accessible way, step-by-step, to make their home or business more sustainable. With the aim of saving energy. We do this together with our installers in the country. Not by making plans for the distant future; we know what is going on with customers today and we really do something with it. Essent helps you today with all your energy solutions. Big or small. For a carefree feeling – now and in the future.
Jij bent Essent
Working together as one team to win our customers’ loyalty. It gives you an energy boost like no other. We can only grow by being enterprising, asking critical questions and always wanting to do better. This applies to you as a member of the Essent team and us as a company. Whether you prefer to work behind the scenes or in the spotlight. It doesn’t matter. Will you make an impact for yourself, the team and our customers? Then you tick all the boxes if you also have:
- An Academic work and thinking level (BSc.l) with education in engineering, informatics, business informatics or equivalent technical field.
- A working-level knowledge of Agile, SAFe and DevOps practices. Background in agile software delivery.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in software engineering. Experience with configuration management and/or infrastructure-as-code tools is a plus.
- Interest in Cloud Operations. The goal is to create engineering solutions for operations problems.
- Experience with performance- and capacity management in infrastructure environments
- Experience with various ways to monitor and improve stability and performance of end to end IT landscape.
- Knowledge on different ways of increasing security of an IT landscape (secure software development practices) is a plus.
You’re in top form. A real member of the Essent team in heart and soul, who works shoulder to shoulder for a single goal. You also are able to communicate in Dutch and English. You have strong organizational and problem-solving skills and last but not least you are able to act as a trusted advisor to DevOps teams, Product Owners and Product Managers.
Bij presteren hoort waarderen
You believe in yourself, the team and the company. And us? We reward you for all your hard work: with money, opportunities and personal growth. Because you always deliver the best for our customers, we offer you (based on 40 hours a week):
- A job at the number 1 in the Dutch energy sector and part of important European player E.ON. We continue to grow, innovate and develop.
- A gross monthly salary between € 4.182 and € 5.973, precisely tailored to your level
- A bonus opportunity of 10% to express our appreciation even more
- 30 vacation days because you have other hobbies besides your work
- All facilities to be able to work properly such as a laptop, telephone, home workplace, etc.
- The opportunity to work hybrid including the associated home work allowance
- An inspiring head office with a good coffee bar, two company restaurants and within walking distance of Den Bosch Central Station.
- The opportunity to work according to the Essent Business System
- We recommend that you travel to work by public transport. A nice extra: you will receive an NS Business Card from us. Prefer to travel with your own transport? Then you will receive a kilometre allowance
- A wide range of development and career opportunities nationally and internationally
- And last but not least: an environment in which you can be yourself completely. We believe that the differences in our Essenters help us to remain the number 1 position in energy.
This is the ideal opportunity to make an impact as a Site Reliability Engineer. Would you like to know more about what happens next? Check the steps in our application procedure below.
Over de organisatie
We’re the market leader in the supply of energy and gas in the Netherlands. A position we’re proud of. Every day, we find newer and smarter ways of being the best together, as one team. We have focus, ownership and discipline. Our straightforward mentality helps us retain the loyalty of millions of consumers and businesses. Not just in energy and gas, but also in energy-related products and services that help the Netherlands become more sustainable. And we don’t wait until tomorrow. As part of E.ON, and with our brands Essent, energiedirect.nl, Powerhouse and Vandebron, we create impact for our customers. Together, we bring affordable energy solutions within reach for everyone.